Colin Fairweather CIO City of Melbourne @colfai
A lot has happened since then, we have a new council with a renewed commitment to driving the Digital City Strategy and various exciting projects are already underway (more on this to come).
I’ve been overwhelmed by the passion and commitment you’ve shown (and apologies if I’ve been a bit slow getting back to you).
Our CoMConnect event partners have provided us with the report below which we think captures the essence and main themes of the weekend. I’m really looking forward to hearing your feedback
Since CoMConnect we’ve been busy sharing what we discovered with other areas of the organisation, while at the same time working out how to enable this way of working to continue.
What we’re doing now
We’ve realised that one of the most important tasks is to find a way that the City and our community can continue to co-create in a way that is sustainable and responsive. In other words, we don’t want to let another 3 months go by before anything happens!
This means that we (that’s the City of Melbourne and those of you interested in helping us) actually have two jobs:
1. Create a Digital Strategy for the City of Melbourne - This was our original aim and one we intend to continue. CoMConnect (and our subsequent engagement and research) have identified a clear need for some guiding principles and priorities that will help shape future projects and investments.
2. Create a better way of working - In order to create the best strategy possible, we have to rethink the process by which strategies are developed. This piece of work is far more fluid and raises a number of interesting (and challenging) questions about our mutual capacity to progress ideas through to outcomes.
I believe that by doing these two jobs together, in a way that combines traditional approaches with innovative digitally-enabled processes, we will create something truly valuable for Melbourne and beyond.
This way of working is a bit of a leap of faith for an organisation such as ours, and requires a level of understanding by all participants that there may well be some rough edges and course-corrections as we progress along this journey together.
In the early stages, we’re looking for brave ‘early adopters’ who are ready to roll up their sleeves and maybe get a few splinters. If you think that might be you, then please read more about our process and how to get involved.
For the rest of you, please:
1. stay in touch by subscribing to our updates (hit the rss link above)
2. share this post with your networks (Please keep using #CoMConnect for now)
3. provide your ideas and feedback in the comments below
I look forward to continuing this journey with you.
Colin Fairweather @colfai
CIO City of Melbourne